Monday, September 11, 2017

Blog Post 1

Teacher's are motivated to use technology in the classroom by the necessity to prepare students to be able to effectively use technology in a world that has increasingly become more reliant on technology. Students use technology because it is something they have grown up with and are used to it. To them it is another part of everyday life and it would be akin to some older generations not using pencil and paper in their work.

The ISTE Standard that resonated the most with me was how teachers have to continually learn about new technologies and practice with them. I've known a lot of teachers throughout my educational experience as a student who were unfamiliar with technology. It can get distracting, especially when you know how to do it better. It can also keep students from becoming engaged because they will usually use such technology to the bare minimum of its potential.

I do personally agree with the term "digital native". "Digital natives", in my own opinion, are those who have grown up not just completely surrounded by technology, but also using and interacting with it from a young age. I've noticed that a lot of my teachers don't really know as how to use some of the features of technology that people my age use very often, largely noticeable on programs like social media or Microsoft Office. In the future, I anticipate that I will likely fall into the same pitfalls if I am unable to keep up with the changing technology unless I take the time to learn how to use new resources extensively.

No comments:

Post a Comment